Manufacture well-made ukuleles using quality materials at a reasonable price. We don’t strive to be the cheapest made ukulele, but are shooting for the best quality compared to other instruments sold in the same price range. We utilize the best factories around the world with attention to using woods from Hawaii, especially Acacia koa harvested from the Big Island of Hawaii.
Jorma Winkler, Owner
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to read about our company. I’m pleased you have taken an interest in our line of ukulele. We are trying very hard, every day, to provide a quality product at a fair price. Of course we’ve had our difficulties, like any other company, but my promise to you is to work as hard as we can to provide an instrument that will give you many years of happiness, laughter and even tears. If it weren’t for you, the customer, we wouldn’t even exist. It’s because of you we are able to have the privilege of being involved in this wonderful industry. If you ever have any comments, questions, or concerns, we are just a phone call or email away. Or feel free to just drop by- you are always more than welcome!
Mahalo Nui Loa,
About Big Island Ukulele Co.
The company was started to fill a need in the market for reasonably-priced, very high quality solid koa ukuleles. Having roots deep in Hawaii in the forestry industry supplying Hawaiian koa to ukulele makers around the world, we felt we could capitalize on our ability to supply high quality koa at an affordable cost for our own line of instruments. Decades of experience in the wood industry working with some of the finest luthiers in the world gave us a special insight into and access to one of the most important parts of an instrument- the wood! You cannot ever build an excellent instrument if you don’t start with excellent wood. This is where our main competitive advantage lies- we are our own source of koa and other local Hawaiian tonewoods. From harvesting the tree to distributing our own instruments- we leave out all the typical middlemen and offer those savings directly to the customer without sacrificing quality! All of our koa is harvested from the Big Island of Hawaii in a manner consistent with best management practices and abiding by the Forest Stewardship Certification (FSC) standards.
Mahalo Nui Loa E Komo Mai
The Hui at The Big Island Ukulele Co .
|Company name||Big Island Ukulele Co. (parent co.: Winkler Woods LLC)|
|Hawaii Head office
(sales and distribution)
| 875 Waimanu St. #108, Honolulu HI 96813
|Koa manufacturing and sawmill||Kurtistown, Hawaii Island|
|Japan showroom||23-2 Komatsubara, Korihonmachi, Konan-shi, Aichi-ken 483-8127 Japan
|Business activities||ukulele manufacturing and distribution; koa manufacturing and distribution; cultural relations between Japan and Hawaii|
History of Big Island Ukulele Co.
- Late 1800's
- our first experience with sawmilling and wood supply started generations ago in Northern California
- Early 1970's
- the first Winklers relocated to Hawaii for forestry industry work
- Jorma Winkler began marketing Hawaiian lumber species worldwide
- 2002 May
- Winkler Woods LLC formed to supply koa to the instrument makers worldwide
- 2003 June
- Winkler Woods LLC chosen over many other companies by the State of Hawaii, Dept of Hawaiian Homelands to reforest over 100 acres of koa forested lands and harvest and market the koa
- 2005 July
- Big Island Ukulele Co. formed; early years R&D and many prototypes built!
- 2006 July
- HONU series of ukulele debuts and reception and demand is more than expected – thank you!
- 2006 October
- Honolulu, Hawaii branch office and distribution started
- 2006 – 2009
- ukulele distribution grows throughout the world
- 2010 July
- office and warehouse moved to more central Honolulu location; now within walking distance to major shopping areas (Ward and Ala Moana)
View Larger Map
Directions is here（PDF）